The LEGO® Serious Play® methodology is a unique process designed to enhance innovation and business performance. Based on research which shows that this kind of hands-on, minds-on learning produces a deeper, more meaningful understanding of the world and its possibilities, the LEGO® Serious Play® methodology deepens the reflection process and supports an effective dialogue – for everyone in the organization. The LEGO® Serious Play® method (LSP) is a facilitated thinking, communication and problem solving technique for use with organizations, teams and individuals. It draws on extensive research from the fields of business, organizational development, psychology and learning, and is based on the concept of “hand knowledge.” LEGO® Serious Play® is based on a set of fundamental beliefs about leadership and organizations:
- Leaders don’t have all the answers
- Their success is dependent on hearing all voices in the room
- People naturally want to contribute, be part of something bigger and take ownership
- All too often, teams work sub optimally leaving knowledge untapped in team members
- We live in a world which best can be described as complex and adaptive and allowing each member to contribute and speak out results in a more sustainable group structure
LEGO® Serious Play® is a methodology that taps into an organization’s collective intelligence to solve problems and improve decision-making. This technique actively engages every participant and embraces a “leaning forward” approach where everybody at the table contributes to the discussion. The bricks are used as tools to build and to express complex ideas through storytelling and metaphors. Everyone builds and everyone shares. The discussion exists as a model right there on the table for the team to interact with and manipulate together. In a workshop that incorporates the LEGO® Serious Play® method, individuals think differently, teams communicate more directly, and the outcomes are deeper and more creative.